Sunday, September 16, 2018

Rome in a Day

There's no direct way to get to Croatia from California. When I discovered one of the route options went through Rome, I knew we had to stop in one of our favorite cities and make it a 24-hour layover!  

The main thing to consider when leaving the airport during a layover is whether or not it is worth it.  Finding a $100 room next to Pantheon plus the €100 round trip airport shuttle fee meant I wasn't about to pass up on this opportunity. Even after all the logistics fell apart, this day was totally worth it. 

When we travel I avoid mixing airlines but I figured 24 hours between flights was enough of a buffer to avoid trouble and booked a cheap local airline called Vueling to get from Rome to Croatia - it was significantly less than continuing the flight on United. Then they canceled our flight to Split - crap!  It was many months ago so we weren't actually stuck - I just had to rearrange our itinerary and fly to Dubrovnik instead. 

Another travel trick I've learned is to arrange airport transfers through the place you're staying so the driver knows where he is going. Ugh... backfire #2!  In the Arrivals area, after trying to find a WEBBER sign for 30 minutes, we finally gave up. Then I did one of those stupid travel moves that you're always warned to avoid: I accepted a ride from one of the first touts walking by. What could go wrong?!  Nothing, no really!  You must email Riccardo Gherardi riccardogh85@gmail.com the next time you're booking an airport shuttle from FCO to Rome. He is a gentleman, speaks great English, and drove us to the city's center in no time at all - and a steal for less than €90 round trip!

I highly recommend our place to stay for its price and location next to the Pantheon. But it totally sucked when their taxi service failed miserably and then they weren't at the "hotel" to let us drop off our bags.   More trouble quickly averted when some kind people checking out let us sneak our bags into the apartment!


Our small room at 'Juno Pantheon' was the right price and an excellent location


Greg and I celebrated 24 years of marriage last month. So wherever did he get his crazy notion that I was planning to spend our time in Rome "just sitting, drinking, and people- watching"??  Wow does he not know me or what?!  Well, I might be partially responsible and have led him to believe that was the plan. I don't think so, but sometimes I might be known to leave out a few details to get his buy-in. I mean not this time but, you know, maybe it could happen. 

My dream day in Rome - realistic because we've already been here twice in the last decade - is to eat its great food, drink its delicious wine, and oh yeah, see its amazing sights. All of them. We love to walk so 14 miles in a day is just part of the perks. We went to Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, lunch followed by a quick siesta, Piazza Navona, St. Peter's, dinner in Trastevere, the forum, and the coliseum. We had a euphoric day doing it all but don't tell Greg I would've been happy with a little wine, pasta, gelato, the coliseum, and some people watching!

And now for our day in pictures:


LOVE Italy!

Spanish Steps

Trevi fountain, uncovered since our last visit's renovations

Lunch at Pane e Salame near Trevi Fountain was divine: porchetta, sundried tomatoes, and lettuce on fresh hot bread

Mmmmm, yummy gelato from our favorite place: Giolitti

"I'm melting," said Greg, mimicking the Wicked Witch of the West. It was a beautiful day in the low 80s. With fountains all over Rome, there's constant easy access to cold, refreshing water  

One of ten strikingly beautiful angel sculptures, designed by Bernini, lining Pont Sant'Angelo

The Pantheon, the oldest building in Rome, never ceases to amaze

Many of Rome's streets were closed to traffic, making it easy to get around on a Sunday

Fountain in front of St. Peter's basilica 

Swiss Guard protecting the Pope's residence

Everything about St. Peter's is staggering, particularly its beauty and sheer size. I'm mesmerized by the letters wrapped around the basilica. To put the immense size of the church into perspective, those letters are taller than me!

One of my favorite activities in Italy is climbing domes and towers.  

Climbing into the cupola right before closing and during mass was a peaceful experience

On top of St. Peter's

I'm obsessed with those little guys, standing almost 20 feet tall and looking out over the Vatican and Rome

Pantheon at night

Over the Tiber with St. Peter's in the distance

Photobombed by a waiter at Tonarello's in Trastevere

The best pasta and pizza!  Greg is back on his pizza oven kick!

Greg pointed out some columns in the Forum that were new since our last visit.  I think he was serious. 

Today's finale

No comments:

Post a Comment